Cell Hell-old post
Mom and I have bee discussing cellphones for a couple of months. She told me at that time that hers wasn't working. As we know time gets away from us. She had upgraded her phone several years ago and I didn't know it but she still had an analogue phone. They aren't even going to allow them in 2008 but even with that those jerks at Cingular have been charging her five dollars a month for having this old type phone. They offered her an upgrade but she gets so confused I thought I better help out.
First she said she didn't want a phone and was going to get rid of it completely.
Her: I don't need a phone, I don't ever use it.
Me: Well, you certainly won't be using it if it doesn't work.
Her: I just want to get rid of it.
Me: We will have to call and cancel it then.
Her: I think it is with Southwestern Bell.
Me: No it is with Cingular. Att is the old Bell and that is your home phone.
Her: Does that have any thing to do with Cox?
Me: Noooooo
This went on for some time and I told her it might be a good idea if she had a phone in the car in case her car broke down. If she would promise me she would remember to turn it on. She laughed.
Next conversation
Me: I have a bill here you need to cancel your phone so you aren't paying that 30 some dollars a month. That could be money in your pocket.
Her: Oh, I don't want to cancel. I think I am going to upgrade.
Me: OOOO KKKKK....( I don't know whether to giggle here or just scream out loud)
Her: I got a deal in the mail and I can get a new phone.
Me: Well, we have to go to a corporate store to do this. ( We have gotten several different stories by this time of what we can do and how much it will cost all from different stores telling us they can't do such and such at their store because it isn't corporate. And at each store we have gotten different stories and solutions from each of the different employees.) I feel so sorry for the elderly and I am feelin' sorrier and sorrier for myself because I am becoming elderly dealing with this.
So I went over and asked if she was ready to get another phone and she said yes. MrP was there and asked her if she had decided to get another one and she said yes that she was never going to not have one. AAAAKKK!
Me: You said last month you didn't even want one. Do you remember that?
Her: No, my mind is gone. hahaha
So we went to the corporate store, found a really nice woman who had set her dad up with a plan. She was trying to sell us the 39 dollar plan which has gone up to 59 a month. I just kept saying no no no. These plans are way more than she needs and way too much money. So we ended up with a go phone, pay as you go, cute little thing, no camera.
I couldn't see adding anything that would make it complicated, (rolls eyes here). She took it home and has read the instruction book cover to cover, which won't matter because the poor little shrinking woman won't remember but she is having fun and that is all that matters. She love the numbers. They light up with a blue light behind them so she can see them when she is in the dark in bed. I hope she doesn't decide to try it out late at night.
Comments
(45 total) Post a CommentGet a pre-paid. It's perfect for emergency use only.
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 01:57pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- Y! 36…
Offline
That could have been me. Well both of you actually *giggles*
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 08:13pm (CEST) Remove Comment
- Šlím™
Offline
LMAO.....your phone is going to ringe at 1 AM!!!!!
Muahahahahahahahahaaaa......
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 01:17pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
Dudus, she liked the idea of having 200 minutes every month. She has some long distance relatives so she wanted more than the pre-paid, which you have to keep going in to punch it in to add minutes at the corporate office here so I couldn't see her learning how to do that. She doesn't even get on the computer any more because she forgets her password, moves the paper around that I put it on and does something different every time she tries to get on. She likes to play poker, of all things, so I have to be over there to get her on the site.
LOL, ms, I know you help yours too.
Slim, I just hope I don't. You know those late night calls always startle you and you think someone is hurt or died. I hope she doesn't decide just to call and chat. lol
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 01:24pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- Webby
Offline
Hi,
That could just as well have been me! The system here in North America is SO different with all their plans and packages, compared to back home. I've had prepaid, as I don't have anyone to call..just wanted it for emergencies, but then it turned out as soon as I left the province of Quebec..where I live...it ceased to work. Then I was really pissed off and started to evaluating the different services around here...to find out IF I could get one that worked outside the province..even in the States, perhaps?! We're planning on a little trip as I type... The results of that evaluation were so different but they all had one thing in common: TOO pricey.
Hugs.. Luv ya
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 03:03pm (EDT) Remove Comment
in the wee hours in the morning when the telly rings and you wake up out of a deep sleep and you hear "can you hear me now?" you'll regret this LOL
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 03:16pm (EDT) Remove Comment
oops I think the telly is the tv isn't it? lmao oh well I can laugh at myself ;)
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 03:17pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- Lori
Offline
Good thing the poor little shrinking woman has you and your patience there :)
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 01:18pm (MDT) Remove Comment
Roflmao...that could have been me a couple years ago when mom was still alive. And about the computer, mom was so good at it, but when it came to technical stuff, shed IM me, I lived upstairs from her in the house, and I'd try to explain it in the IM, but usually just had to go down and help her. hgusss
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 02:23pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- Yardy
Offline
Is she using that in place of the old home phone now?
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 02:28pm (CDT) Remove Comment
I am gonna make my daughter read this blog and laugh when she says "If you do that to me....". *Hugs*
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 01:52pm (MDT) Remove Comment
- Bonit…
Offline
Hey Red This True Story Blog is so Funny about your Mom She sounds so Cute And Silly I am Laughing My Butt off. Be Prepare for those late calls! I Know I know I know shut up FatHead! No But Really! I would like to get one of those Go phones And can ya tell me how much she bought for? I hate the one I have MY Head is to Big for a small Cell phone And I am getting older and I can't Hardly hear Because Marty turns the Tv So Loud and he can hardly Hear me!and he saids its the Tv! So I hope the phone works out with your Mom! How Long will That 200 minutes Will last Her lol lol!It Won't last too long for me LOl Lol. I am down for 48 minutes ON MY Cell! and I can't hardly reach for the Speaker! I do believe I have a FatHead After all! Hahahaha!
P.s I Love everyones comments Here They are Funny!
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 05:06pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- Laurie
Offline
Pssstttt give her DonnaK's number...
what a hoot!
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 04:09pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
Webby I think people have become so dependent on them here they just keep raising the prices. I think it is way too expensive and I feel sorry for elderly people that have trouble using them.
LOL, Carrie, typos and mistakes are my favorite thing in comments. As long as I don't get a call that says, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up".
Lori sometimes my patience shrinks in proportion to the amount of time I spend with her.
Granny, that is hilarious! What a riot.
No Yardy, she had talked about that too but she forgets to charge the cell and she would just be out of luck until it charged. I am afraid for her to let the house phone go.
I know Freya, oggie just shakes her head and tells me that is so going to be me. She tells me "Straight to the nursing home." lol
LOL, Bonita, she is cute (sometimes) and sometimes she is exasperating. I know, the phones are getting so small I feel like listening and then putting it down to my mouth to talk. lol I must have a fat head too. MrP has the sound up really loud too. It gives me a headache. Mom gets 200 min. that roll over to the next month and it costs her 29 dollars a month. She can also call anyone any time and it is free from cingular phone to cingular phone. Yes, they are funny. I have some very funny friends.
Laurie, lol that would be great. Donna would probably love her.
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 07:26pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- Sally…
Offline
Isn't it soooo much fun to have aging parents?! ~ My sister's and I have learned just to do things for mom then tell her! Of course, now it's just her and she's in a nursing home, so it kinda makes it easier...but drives ya nuts.
On the cell phone thingie...I have to agree with Dudus prepaid is great for emergencies only, don't ya think?
{{Huggs}}
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 08:40pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
No, lol just kidding but not always. The prepaid thing she would have to go in and get on their little computer thing and punch in numbers. Just too much for her to remember and quite a ways from her. I try to do as much as I can so she doesn't have to drive anywhere.
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 08:12pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- Shay …
Offline
I feel sorry for the elderly when it comes to things like this. If you weren't there she woulda ended up with some sort of outragous crap that she didn't need. Please tell me you didn't get her a flip phone.... My dad had one and it took him 4 days to figure out you had to open the stupid thing to answer it. Ex-milatry and it wasn't pretty. but the look on his face was priceless!
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 08:17pm (PDT) Remove Comment
- tatz
Offline
my mom uses up her phone credits just so she can call me up at 3am(what 8 hour time difference?)and when she does, she only wanted to ask what i had for dinner, lol!
Friday March 30, 2007 - 05:27am (CEST) Remove Comment
LOL @you and your mom. I'm glad you were there to help her out.
I'm sure Laurie is just being mean and trying to get your mom to wake me up, but I think she has forgotten that I love nighttime and would most likely be awake and probably outtalk your mom! lol So give her my number, I know you have it. Then, your mom and I will 3-way call Laurie! LMBO
Thursday March 29, 2007 - 08:41pm (PDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
Shay,I feel the same way and the people there aren't very helpful. I was just glad a got a woman I could deal with.
tatish, that would be my mom. lol
Donna, I'm sure Laurie wouldn't do anything like that, {snicker}I am sure Laurie would appreciate that. lol
Friday March 30, 2007 - 12:10am (CDT) Remove Comment
- Colla…
Offline
LMAO at Slim..
uh.. we may have the same mom.
Friday March 30, 2007 - 01:21am (EDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
Now that's really scary.
Friday March 30, 2007 - 02:20am (CDT) Remove Comment
- ~ Dev ~
Offline
aaahhh.... the eternal struggle.... lol @ the pretty lights in the night timne. All the better to call you with, my dear.
Friday March 30, 2007 - 05:49pm (EST) Remove Comment
- ~ Dev ~
Offline
ummmm time, not timne...
Friday March 30, 2007 - 05:49pm (EST) Remove Comment
Your such a good Daughter Red,
I Love my mother just as much. Right now I trying to explain to her why we need to move. Her eyes got so BIG when I told her about the New Place. She has never lived any where with a Fire Place in it.((LOL)) Mom is 78, and this move makes her act just like a giggly little child!! "OH!" Yep I understand just what you mean about taking care of other's!!
Friday March 30, 2007 - 08:18am (CDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
LOL, Dev, you never know with her. Love those typos.
Precious, I try, lol but sometimes it's hard I agree.
Friday March 30, 2007 - 01:28pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- Bonit…
Offline
P.s Red I just want a Pretty Phone to talk In and forget about the Minutes, I just want to look COOL in it! Like a simple minded Goffy Girl So Everyone can stare at me! So I can Test them real Good! What do ya think About pink On me Hmmmmmmm? And I get so Jealous of My Family They have a Flip Phone and I get a dorky One That I can't hardly talk into! And I am Like a kid I want COOl Toys! lol Red I want a FlipPhone Pretty Please!
Friday March 30, 2007 - 04:12pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- Cricket
Offline
Hehehe! This is cute! Hopefully she doesn't suffer from insomnia...you'll be getting some late night phone calls!!!!!
Friday March 30, 2007 - 04:18pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
LOL, Bonita, I guess you will have to ask MrBonita.
She does Cricket. lol She tells me sometimes she stays up as late as 2am. She swears she doesn't nap during the day but I know better.
Friday March 30, 2007 - 03:46pm (CDT) Remove Comment
LOL, she sounds divine!
OMG, I'm reading this and Jerry Seinfeld comes on tv doing a bit about telephones. What a coincidence :))
Friday March 30, 2007 - 06:31pm (CDT) Remove Comment
Yours is funnier though :-p
Friday March 30, 2007 - 06:31pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
LOL, Vanessa, one of my friends called me the Seinfeld of 360. Too funny.
Friday March 30, 2007 - 08:47pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- ~CYN~
Offline
What a GOOD daughter you are Susan :)
Saturday March 31, 2007 - 11:38am (EDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
I could be better CYN but thanks.
Saturday March 31, 2007 - 11:30am (CDT) Remove Comment
That "I don't remember" excuse comes in handy for the not-so-elderly, too. Bless your heart for helping her out. I honestly don't know what my Mom would do without me to help her with technical stuff. She refuses to learn unless I explain it to her. LOL
You're going to heaven. You know that, right? :)
Saturday March 31, 2007 - 09:26pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- ♥ღmos…
Offline
Well finally I'm sitting here and reading your blog, it's been ages......lol........and I really LOL at this one too, you really do have the patience of Job.......lol........that's something I lack :) I have a pay as you go phone too, which is automatically charged to my credit card every month, so I don't need to remember....lol.....because menopause robs you of your memory too......lol
Saturday March 31, 2007 - 10:58pm (EDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
You are so right Kerri, and my mom just loves for me to be there all the time. In fact she wants me to entertain her 24/7 but she doesn't demand it. We did the whole internet thing and she can't remember how to get on. lol
Well, mos, MrP says I talk to her like she is a child sometimes but she is acting like one. lol I'll drink to that menopause thing.
Saturday March 31, 2007 - 10:23pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- ~* Ra…
Offline
Oh dear! Those phone companies are all horrible, I think! One would think by now, that they could have organized all of their networks, etc, to the point where things would be less confusing (and expensive).
Let me know how she makes out with her "Go" phone. I'm thinking of getting rid of my contract with Verizon also. (sigh) Such a waste of money, when I hardly ever use it.
Hope you're having a great weekend, otherwise! :0)
Sunday April 1, 2007 - 02:47am (EDT) Remove Comment
- Jen
Offline
There is a phone called the Jitterbug, made for the elderly. Its very basic functions, they program it for you big buttons that have the function written on them. They have basic plans but I dont know who the carrier is...
Monday April 2, 2007 - 02:00pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
Wow, I have never heard of that Jen. I think she is beyond being able to work a regular phone. We will see.
They are expensive and att has become so big they are all about money and not helping. There should be a plan for the elderly.
Monday April 2, 2007 - 04:41pm (CDT) Remove Comment
I LOVE your Mom stories! My dad had his phone cut off after one too many telemarketers called, and has been saying he'll get a cell phone for 2 - 3 years now. I've come to the realization it's not gonna happen but we have the "cell phone" talk every month!
Monday April 2, 2007 - 06:54pm (PDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
Oh, I feel your pain and now he doesn't have a phone at all? That isn't too good.
Monday April 2, 2007 - 09:09pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- Black…
Offline
Go phones are great just you have to remind her when she needs to fill it up. I kind of wish I had a go phone because right now we are paying about $70 a month for 2 phones that we use less than an hour a month combined
Monday April 2, 2007 - 09:31pm (CDT) Remove Comment
- red74…
Offline
That is what she ended up with but these you get it taken off your credit card. They had something else that you had to go in and punch in a bunch of numbers on a big screen to add more money to your cell. She couldn't handle a password. She is the line of least resistence any more.
Monday April 2, 2007 - 10:04pm (CDT) Remove Comment
Cute story! Hope you didn't get a late night call
Monday April 9, 2007 - 08:16pm (CDT) Remove Comment






















